Timeline of Rilakkuma Series
-MAJOR CONSTRUCTION Updated6/27/14
There have been so many Rilakkuma Series’ since 2003. San-x has been putting out a series or two a month for over 10 years so it’s pretty hard to keep track. I’ve been getting quite a lot of questions regarding each series so I thought I’d take the time to share the details of Rilakkuma series plushies and a bit of fun facts leading up to them that I’ve learned. With a catalog of Rilakkuma releases it’ll be easy to find what you’re looking for. I’m including all standard, some Caravans and Rilakkuma store limited ones (possibly more in the future). If you’re looking for a timeline that includes collaborations and Fansclub releases please check out Rilakkuma Lifestyles’, she has done an AMAZING job and worth checking out! San-X also has a timeline but its got a lot of their other characters and it’s missing a few releases.
This Timeline will go newest to oldest in years but months will go in order.
February was the 5th Anniversary of the Tokyo Rilakkuma Store. There was also special Rilakkuma plushies with the Marunouchi side of the station printed on the t-shirt.
March was the release of the Shima Shima/Stripes Stripes Everyday series. There was two sets one was sold exclusively in Rilakkuma Stores. This series also had a Caravan plushie of Korilakkuma and M size plushie versions of the Kumas and Kii.
March was also the 4th Anniversary of the Fukuoka Rilakkuma Store.
June brought the 2nd Anniversary for Kiddyland’s Rilakkuma Store.
- February was the release of the Hawaiian series. There were two Store Limited released of the Kumas, Korilakkuma could only be bought at the Rilakkuma stores.
February was also the 4th Anniversary of the Tokyo Station Rilakkuma Store.
- March was the 3rd Anniversary of Fukuoka’s Rilakkuma Store.
- April was the release of the My Only Rilakkuma series.
- May was the release of the Which Color Do You Like? series. This series only featured Rilakkuma with 3 plushies with reversible hoodies giving each plushie 2 different colors to choose from.
- July marked the 10th anniversary for Rilakkuma and it was the biggest anniversary yet. There was the standard Marching Band series.
- October brought the Happy Natural Time series often called the Deer series. There was two store limited releases and a Caravan.
- November was the release of the Rilakkuloset which focused on a more Build-A-Bear theme. There are 3 different sizes and a varity of clothing featuring outfits from passed series but with a new touch. There is also furniture. Kii makes an appearance only on clothing and furniture, he is not part of the dress up. Novermber was also the 1st Anniversary for the Sendai Rilakkuma Store.
- December brought the Hearts series (not to be confused with the Heart series).
- February was the release of the Picnic series. Also the 3rd Anniversary of the Tokyo Store was celebrated (after it’s re-opening since 2011).
- May was the release of the Marine series and was also the release of the main Tokyo Skytree series which is always kept stocked in Skytree. There are also 2 plushies of all 3 with Sky Tree and the other version released in December.
June was the Grand Opening of the Harajuku Rilakkuma Store (Kiddyland).
- July brought the Bath Time series, which had three different sets and a Caravan. The second set and third was only released in Rilakkuma Stores.
July also brought a special plushie to celebrate the Grand Opening of the Harajuku Rilakkuma Store.
August was the release of the…
- October was the release of the Egg series or sometimes referred to as the Chicken series. There were 3 different plushies for the store limited (1&2, 3) and a caravan.
October was also the 2nd Anniversary of the Kichijoji Rilakkuma Store.
November had it’s yearly Christmas release. This year the trio was dressed up as reindeer.
- December brought release of the Pink Rabbit series, it was a big release month. Kii was not included. December also brought bigger versions of the Sweets series.
- February was the 2nd Anniversary of Tokyo Station’s Rilakkuma Store. It was also the release of the Valentine plushies for 2011.
- March was the release of the Rilakkuma Meets Honey series or the Honey Bee series. There were Rilakkuma Store Limited plushies.
- March 19th was also the 1st Anniversary of the Fukuoka Store.
- July brought the I Love Rilakkuma series. It was also the re-opening of the Tokyo Station Rilakkuma Store.
- August was the release of the Rilakkuma Pom Pom series. This series only featured Rilakkuma and doubled as a mini purse or key chain.
- October was the release of the Chocolate and Coffee series.
- December was the release of the Sweets series.
- February was the release of the Bonjour series. February was also the 1st Anniversary for the Tokyo Store, the special sub-sandwich plushie was also released for the 1st Anniversary.
March was the Grand Opening of the Fukuoka Rilakkuma Store.
- July was the release of the Rainbow series standard versions and the Kumas got their own medium size versions. Rilakkuma’s 7th Anniversary also included the 7th Anniversary standards and an exclusive Kiddyland Rilakkuma box set. (My 7th Anniversary Korilakkuma special)
- July was also the collaboration of the Holiday series.
- August 7th was the collaboration with Tower records.
- September was Umeda’s 2nd anniversary.
- October San-X released the Forest theme leading to a few different series such as the Squirrel series and Bohemian series.
- October 15th was the opening of the Kichijoji store as well as the release of the Kichijoji Store Opening release also know as the Hammock series.
- November was the release of the Christmas 2010 series.
- December was the release of the I Love Strawberries series. It focuses more on Korilakkuma because of her love of Strawberries. December 4th was also the release of the Year of the Rabbit series.
- February 20th Tokyo Station Rilakkuma Store celebrated it’s Grand Opening! A special plush was released just for the opening.
- July a mini size of Rilakkuma, Korilakkuma and Kii were released for the Cloud theme.
- August 9th plushies specially for the stores were made and can be found in all the Rilakkuma Stores.
- October was the release of the Bed Time series. There were also special plushies just like the Heart series where you could remove the star to hold your cell phone. (My Special Rilakkuma) There were also Rilakkuma Store Limited.
- A few other products were released for the Bed Time series in November.
- December was the release of the Cupcake series, marking the first time a series didn’t keep everyone in their normal animal forms. Additional plushies were specifically made for cell phones.
- March was the release of the Clover and Cow series. While there are a few other names for this series I usually refer to it as the Clover and Cow. Other products were released in April. (My Kumas)
- May was the release of the Fruit series.
- July marked the 5th Anniversary for Rilakkuma and it was a big one! There was a Caravan and a Store Limited plush. A special raffle to win the carriage version. And even a Rilakkuma dress up case!(My Rilakkumas)
- August was the release of the Heart series, the saying “okiniiri to issho no mainichi” was featured on it meaning I’m happy with my favorite things everyday.
- September released another addition to the Heart series but are still available at Rilakkuma stores. This one had the normal Rilakkuma fur texture and the heart could be removed to hold a cell phone. (My Rilakkuma) There was also a re-release of the Cow series from the Clover and Cow series, this time including Kiiroitori.
September was also the Grand Opening of the Umeda Rilakkuma Store (the first one).
- November was the release of the Onsen series.
- January released the first Valentines plushies. The series was called Sweet & Happy Day.
- February released the Korilakkuma’s Mischief series. There is also a bigger version released of Ko with a removable Rabbit suit.
- September was the release of the Happiness series. Two pairs of the kumas featured different words on the cushions one set being Love and the other Friend. Kii has the word Money on his bag.
- October was the release of the Rilakkuma Cafe series. Along with more goods and an extra cute pillow and foot rest released in December. (My Rilakkuma Cafe Series)
- February the Sheep series was released.
- In April a line of Rilakkuma bath product were released.
- August 2006 marks the celebration of Rilakkuma’s 3rd Anniversary! There was also two special releases a Caravan and one only for the Net Shop. (My Korilakkuma)
- September included more 3rd Anniversary products even a Rilakkuma shelf. A bigger plush of the Sheep series was reveled in October.
- November the Winter series was released.
- December was the biggest month of 2006! Not only was the first Christmas series released but also the start of the Chinese Zodiac releases with the release of the Year of the Pig 2007, the only Chinese Zodiac plushies not to include Kii.
- February Rilakkuma, Ko and Kii products started depicting more of how the 3 acted around each other. Giving fans a feel of each ones personality. This month produced the famous Rilakkuma Graffiti plush.
- 2005 was a big year for Rilakkuma because products were starting to be released on a monthly basis and Kii was put into the spotlight in August.
- It wasn’t until September that the standard kind of series we see today were released featuring each member of the Rilakkuma gang.
- In October the plushies first got a new texture of fur in a variety of plushie sizes making each one furry even Kii.
- November play sets were introduced, now they are incredibly expensive and rarely (if even) seen on auctions.
- In December the first bath bombs were introduced.
- In August Korilakkuma was introduced into the products as well.
- November Rilakkuma and Korilakkuma plushies started taking shape, Kiiroitori started to make an appearance.
- Rilakkuma was created by Aki Kondo in February but first appeared in the book “Rilakkuma Seikatsu” about a stuffed bear who lived with her persona Kaoru. She got the idea because she wished she could have a pet but was too busy with work to have one. Which is also one of the reasons Rilakkuma is so relaxed.
- Rilakkuma products started being made June that same year.